The Greeks use a lot of lamb in their cooking, and complement it with garlic, onions and herbs. This recipe takes the usual lamb hotpot and gives it a Greek flavour with the use of traditional ingredients. This is a meal in itself, and as such is simple to prepare with very little washing up! I do like to serve it with some bread though, to soak up all the lovely juices. The quantities shown in this recipe serve 4.
- 500g Lamb (I like to use chump chops)
- 2 sticks Celery, sliced
- 4 Carrots, sliced
- 1 Courgette, thickly sliced
- 2 Large potatoes, diced
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 200ml Red wine
- 300ml Stock
- 400g Chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- Cut the lamb into pieces if necessary.
- Place all the ingredients into a casserole dish and add extra water to cover the ingredients if necessary.
- Place into an oven at 160 degrees C and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.