Everyone loves chicken casserole, it's a real pleasure to come back to on a winters evening. I remember so many times setting it cooking and then going out for a walk on a crisp winters afternoon and returning with pink cheeks and cold fingers to a bowl of steaming chicken casserole. This version includes beans which add a nice texture and are nutritious, they also have a low GI rating, meaning they fill you up for a long time. If you are on a diet use skinless chicken pieces. The quantities shown in this recipe serve 4.
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 300g Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 200g Swede, peeled and diced
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1 stick Celery, sliced
- 1 Leek, sliced
- 600g Boneless, skinless chicken pieces
- 2 tbsp Fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh rosemary, chopped
- 600ml Chicken stock
- 400g tin Butter beans
- Flour, to thicken
- Place all the ingredients apart from the beans and flour into a covered casserole dish.
- Place into an oven at 160 degrees C and cook for 2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and add the drained butter beans and flour to thicken the gravy.
- Return the casserole to the oven for 10 minutes to warm the butter beans, and serve as required.