There is very little that can beat a nice chicken casserole recipe for comfort and value. This is a delicious variation on the theme and works particularly well with mashed potato or big pasta shapes. As this meal can be prepared in advance, and is very much a "shove it in the oven and leave it meal" it is perfect for cooking for a weeknight; I tend to prepare and cook it one night, and then serve it the next. The quantities shown in this recipe serve 4.
- 1kg Chicken pieces
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large glass Red wine
- 2 tins Chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin Cannellini beans (or butter beans), drained
- 3 Peppers, chopped (preferably 1 red, 1 green and 1 yellow)
- 1 tbsp fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 tsp Paprika
- In a casserole dish lightly dry-fry the chicken pieces until they are browned on each side, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and mix well.
- Place the casserole dish into an oven at 170 degrees C and leave to cook for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.