This meal provides a complete change to the usual midweek fare. It is simple to prepare, delicious and exotic. It is an ideal meal for the family, especially with teenagers who are bored and want something a bit different. The spices work really well with the meatiness of the chicken and the sweetness of the apricot. This is relatively low in calories, with the only fat coming from any oil used to fry the meat, and the skin of the chicken. If you are hoping to lose weight you can easily fry using water (add a little boiling water to the pan instead of oil every couple of minutes) and remove the skin from the chicken pieces. The quantities shown in this recipe serve 4 when served with couscous.
- 8 Chicken thighs
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2cm piece Root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 180g Dried apricots
- 500ml Chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground Black pepper
- In a large saucepan fry the chicken thighs over a high heat until brown all over (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add the onion and spices and fry for a further 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.