This is a tasty and healthy pasta dish which is based upon the flavours of the Medditeranean. The vegetables used in the sauce can be varied according to your preference, the ones shown here are just my favourites. This is very low in fat, and if you are on a diet you can reduce the fat content further by frying with a little water rather than oil. When the pan is hot, adding a small amount of water will create a layer of steam, which will act in the same way as oil. The quantities shown in this recipe serve 3 when served with a side salad.
- 4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Chicken breast, diced
- 100g Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Green pepper, chopped
- 400g tin Chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- Handful Pitted black olives, halved
- 2 Chicken stock cubes
- 150g Dried pasta
- Fry the garlic, onion and chicken for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the mushrooms and pepper and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, tomato puree and stock cubes to the chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the olives to the sauce and simmer for a futher 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add the sauce to the pasta shapes.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of parmesan on top is desired.