These light-as-air pastry cases look absolutely fantastic and taste just as good. They are slightly fiddly to prepare, but the results are worth the work. The filling combination of leek, mushroom and prawn is full of flavour, whilst being low in calories. These delicacies don't have to be saved for a dinner party, they work equally well for buffets and parties. The quantities shown in this recipe serve 4.
- 1 Small leek, chopped
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 225ml Milk
- 200g Peeled prawns
- 1 tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped
- 100g Mushrooms, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200g Puff pastry
- Lightly fry the leek in a little butter. Remove from the heat.
- Add the flour to the leek, and stir to form a thick paste. Add a little milk, and stir thoroughly.
- Add the milk in small stages, stirring thoroughly at each stage. While adding the milk heat the sauce over a low heat. Stir constantly, and heat until the sauce is boiling.
- Add the prawns and mushrooms to the sauce and cook for a futher 5 minutes. Add the parsley and stir thoroughly.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of just under 1/2 cm.
- Divide the pastry into 8 rectangles or squares.
- Around the edge of each pastry square score a border, about 3/4 cm in from the edge, but not completely through to the bottom of the pastry.
- Divide the filling mixture equally between the pastry, being careful to not have the filling over-flow to cover the scored border.
- Place the pastry cases onto a baking tray, and brush the borders with a little milk.
- Place the baking tray into an oven at 200 degrees C and cook for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the pastry cases are golden brown. Serve immediately.